sewing for easter: one final dress

Last minute sewing is my jam! I tend to hold on sewing specific things until the very moment they’re needed. This dress is a perfect example of that! Originally, this is a dress I started sewing up for my oldest. I was still, as I’d like to think, at the beginning of my sewing journey at the time.

I had purchased this double gauze from imagine gnats and it had taken me forever to finally decide on a pattern to sew with it. I had opted to sew it up as a fun spring dress, using the Caroline Party Dress by Welcome to the Mouse House. If I remember correctly, the measurements I had used for A had put her in a size 3, and then I may have added a bit of length to the bodice since she was around 6-7 at the time.

I made a few mistakes while sewing the dress, specifically when attaching the skirt to the bodice and I then think I ripped it apart twice, only to find out the double gauze is very delicate and doesn’t like to see the seam ripper too often. There were a few other things that went wrong with it at the time (user mistakes). So I put it aside discouraged…

Low and behold almost 8 years later… yup, that’s a long time to be sitting in the wip pile. Pretty embarrassing actually, but I’d like to think that it worked out in the end. When I started thinking about dresses to sew up for the girls for Easter, I really wanted to find something I had in my stash to sew from first. As I was looking for something I came across the dress! It was like it was meant to be!

To get this dress back on track, I seam ripped (delicately this time) the skirt and the bodice sections that had issues and reattached them. I also decided to take the time to rip off one of the Peter Pan collar pieces off since it had shifted and wasn’t properly centred when I originally attached it. This honestly felt like it was going to be a lot of work BUT it actually wasn’t too bad. I did all my seam ripping while watching tv and found time during the day to stitch it back together little bits at a time.

The only thing I really changed on the pattern is how the back closes. It’s supposed to be an invisible zipper closure. But I couldn’t find any zippers the night before Easter and it was too late to run out, so I opted to go with a snap/button closure (similar to how the geranium dress closes). The only thing that got affected was the collar, which now overlaps a bit.

By doing this type of closure it actually works out better for fit for J, since it was pretty wide on her to begin with (she only measures about 19″ at her chest, so typically fits in 12m patterns), and it reduced the width by about an inch.

One last thing I did talk about doing for adjustments was a ‘deep’ hem, or a ‘grow with me’ hem. So I had originally thought of folding it over about 2-3″. But once I tried it on her with the back closure done up, I decided that 1″ would be plenty. It sits just below her knee, and she still has some growth in it. So I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.

In the end, she looooved this dress! And I’m pretty happy with how it turned out too, especially since I never intended it for her haha. She wore it the entire day (including a walk down to the creek where she fell in a deep mud puddle of course)… but I’m fine with it, sorta, as long as she’s having a fun Easter

I hope you guys all had a lovely Easter yesterday!

and if you like our content please consider to

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *